Nomadi from the wonderful Sillä välin maailmalla blog recently nominated I Basically Travel for the Sunshine Blogger award. Thank you so much – what a fabulous surprise! Here are my answers to your questions:
1) Who is your favourite travel company or do you prefer travelling alone? In my student days I travelled alone, often to visit penfriends in various parts of Europe, but I prefer to be able to share the travel experience every step of the way: pointing out quirky details, sharing the finger foods, talking about what I have seen, even getting lost! Although I occasionally go on holiday with friends, my usual travel companion is my husband, who pops up in several blog posts as ‘hubby’.
2) What is on top of your bucket list at the moment? I would love to go to an NHL ice-hockey match in Canada, experience a hot air balloon flight, see the cherry blossom in Japan, go on a safari in Africa…the list goes on and doesn’t really have a top destination or experience. It’s too difficult to choose!
3) When choosing your destination, are you more interested in natural or cultural sights? I love city breaks! Narrow side streets, bustling markets and cafes, architecture, and live events are what I look for on my travels. I’m happy to go on a hike and enjoy the wonders of the natural world too but I prefer to be based in a city centre, close to all the activities and buzz.
4) Are you always travelling to new destinations or do you return to your favourite places several times? As there are so many places I’m yet to see, I try to choose new destinations and maybe combine them with a brief revisit to an ‘old friend’, such as Rome.
5) How much advance planning do you typically do before the trip? Are you a spontaneous traveller or a meticulous planner? I usually plan very little, apart from booking the airline or train tickets and my accommodation. I try to find a guidebook from the library before the trip to skim through and see if there’s anything I definitely shouldn’t miss but otherwise I just walk and explore, look and listen, taste and touch. As far as packing goes, I don’t need to plan: I always take the same essentials because everything has to fit in a rucksack.
6) Is your travel blog intended more as a travel diary, information source for other travellers or something else entirely? It’s mainly musings and observations although I do try to include useful tips too.
7) Name one place (country, city, destination, establishment…) that has left a big impression on you and explain why. I fell in love with Rome on my first visit and the city still makes me giddy with happiness! Although it’s touristy with often incredibly chaotic traffic, beggars, and irritating street sellers, there’s something captivating about the way of life and how the ancient historic monuments are a natural part of daily life instead of something behind locked gates. I try to avoid the busiest areas and concentrate wandering down the side streets and discovering the quieter coffee bars and trattorias. I could keep going back and be happy.
8) Are you into seeing the “must-see sights” of any place you visit or are you more into relaxed hanging-out? I don’t want to miss the obvious must-see places, even if I only catch a glimpse to say I’ve seen them. Once I’ve done that, relaxed hanging-out is definitely my thing!
9) What is in your experience the most overrated sight in the world? Out of all the places I’ve visited, Venice has been the biggest disappointment. The old buildings and canals were beautiful but I felt I was in a giant living museum, just following a tourist trail. I might give it another chance – but there are other places to visit first!
10) Do you have a favourite region you keep travelling to? What makes it so special you keep returning? I don’t have a favourite region but there are various cities I love returning to. They don’t even have to be that far: I’m happy to revisit Bristol or London time after time because they have so much to offer and are only a short train ride away.
The Sunshine Blogger Award is an award from bloggers to bloggers – in other words, it’s a way for us to spread our love for the inspiring blogs that we have discovered and to show our support to the blogging community.
I am nominating the following blogs:
These are my questions to you:
- What are the three items you can’t travel without?
- What place has positively surprised you and why?
- What has travel taught you?
- How would you describe yourself as a traveller?
- What’s the most unusual food you have eaten?
- Has anything gone wrong on your travels that seems funny now?
- What’s your favourite mode of transport and why?
- Have you taken part in any activity or event that, with hindsight, you wish you hadn’t – for example, for ethical reasons?
- What is the best part about blogging and what do you dislike?
- What’s your top tip to anyone who wants to start a blog?
Here’s how it goes! If you’ve been nominated, you’ll need to…
1) Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog
2) Answer the questions you got from the person who nominated you
3) Nominate other blogs and give them questions to answer
4) Notify your nominees through social media or by commenting on their blog
5) List the rules and display a Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post